Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4

Room 16
My students were on fire today. I know I do my job when I go to review a chapter and they can give me this many key words. After we listed the key words for Egypt, we categorized them and wrote a summary paragraph for the chapter. 
These are the days I especially love... when you can see that they learned. Super rewarding.

In case you're curious (I know you are!), this is the summary paragraph we came up with for the chapter on Egypt that we just finished.
Egypt
Egypt was a very powerful and successful civilization that had many achievements. The gift of the Nile gave Lower Egypt fertility and Upper Egypt protection. Rulers in Egypt wore a double crown with the colors red and white to represent their power. To show respect for the pharaohs, the Egyptians mummified pharaohs and nobles and put them in pyramids to live in the afterlife. Their writing system was focused on hieroglyphics and, thanks to the Rosetta Stone, we can now read what they wrote. Egyptians were masters of art and they painted beautiful works in the pharaohs' tombs so the dead could enjoy them. All in all, Egypt was a civilization full of power and glory, but it eventually fell from its control.

1 comment:

karamurano said...

I love your handwriting!