Sunday, January 2, 2011

I hate resolutions

I spent the first two days of 2011 on a road trip up (and back down) the beautiful coast of California. It's something that's been on my bucket list for a few years and I finally got to check it off today. As I sat in the passenger seat of my friend's car, looking at the indescribable coastline on our 8-hour drive home, I thought that I needed to do something different this year. Something worthwhile.

I've spent the last 2.5 years being single. Doesn't sound like a big deal to most people, but I'm a 32-year old successful female, who has been described by many guys as a "good catch." I have no kids, I live alone (no cats... or dogs, for that matter), I have a fantastic career, I travel a lot... seems like a great life, right? Well, for some reason, I've had a very difficult time in the last year accepting that I'm not married. I spent my late teens and all of my 20s either in a serious relationship, or in love with someone. Being alone at 30 was something I needed. It was something I embraced wholeheartedly for the first year or so.

But I have to be honest, it's been kinda lonely lately. Dating is kinda non-existent in my life right now. I'm kinda numb to the idea of having a relationship. I want it, but I have almost given up hope. The problem is, the idea of sharing my life with someone is beginning to consume me. It takes over my thoughts, my dreams at night... my life. And I'm sick of it.

I want to learn how to appreciate what I have now and not put all my faith into what might (or might not) happen in my future.

So, as I'm on this beautiful road trip, I decide that I want to take (and now post) a picture a day for the entire year of 2011. One, I'm already taking such great pictures on this trip. Two, I love the idea of taking pictures. I love photography. Three, it will force me to find beauty and creativity in each and every day.

So, here's to the beginning of what will hopefully be 365 pictures to tell the story of my 2011. Happy New Year!

*My blog title was inspired by a Dave Matthew's Band song called Pig*
(an excerpt of the lyrics)

Isn't it strange how we move our lives for another day, like skipping a beat
What if a great wave should wash us all away, just thinking out loud

Is this not enough, this blessed sip of life, is it not enough
Staring down at the ground
Oh then complain and pray more from above, you greedy little pig
Stop just watch your world trickle away

Come sister, my brother... shake up your bones shake up your feet
I'm saying open up and let the rain come pouring in
Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come

Dry your eyes, let the love in there
There are bad times, but that's ok, just look for love in it
Don't burn the day away

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this blog is amazing and you brandi are even a more amazing individual, proud to call you my friend

Ian Guy said...

As a man (and a married one at that), do your own thing! (PS found your page via the wonder of that 'next blog' link!)