Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 9

California State Testing
We had started Testing last week. I capitalize the word Testing because it's THAT serious. Like, I have to check out and in my testing materials each day from a locked room, be with them at all times (and if I'm not, have them locked up somewhere), read DIRECTLY from the test administrator's booklet, not answer any question about any test question, .... and watch the kids suffer through 1.5-2 hours of testing for four days. It's brutal. And unnecessary. I mean, I get that there needs to be accountability. I'm all for that. But honestly, there has to be a better way. My kids are 12 and they struggle. I can't even imagine the SEVEN-YEAR OLDS who have to do the same thing.
But I digress...
The POSITIVE for the day is that one of my severely ADHD students, who on any other occasion, has rushed through and been known to mark down literally anything to just finish, has taken her time on every section of this test. I know how painful it might be for her to sit still and silent for so long, but she has made an honest effort to read each and every passage, question, and answer. In short, she tried. And that made me so proud.


No comments: