Monday, March 28, 2011

March 21

This is how we R-O-L-E
Some people may think we're crazy. Some may think it's cultish. But seriously, CrossFit is the best thing I've ever done for myself. When I was younger, soccer was what got me excited about exercising. After high school, there really wasn't anything that got me motivated to work out. Sure, I went to the gym periodically and played on an adult soccer team, but the workouts were never enough.

And then a CrossFit gym opened up near me. I had done a workout once or twice a year or so prior and I knew it was going to be what got the job done (i.e., help me get my late 20-something body back into 18-year old shape), but the gym I tried out was too far from me and I just wasn't ready to spend the time and money going.

But now it's become who I am. I have done things I have never thought I could do (pull-ups) and pushed my body farther than I have in a really long time. And I love every second of it. Even when I'm crying because I am being too hard on myself.

The picture below is of a then 14-year old CrossFitter named Kallista Pappas. She competed in the 2008 CrossFit games (kind of an Olympics for CrossFitters). During her workout (below), she  lost her balance on a lift and dropped the bar on herself. After shaking it off, she completed the workout. This picture is after her drop. You can see the pure heart, pain, and intensity of her workout. THIS is what CrossFit is to me. It not only makes me strong physically, but mentally and emotionally. 

No comments: